Monday, December 28, 2009

What is the best camera flash to use for weddings?

Im using nikon d80 and 50mm 1.8, 18-200mm 5.8 Nikkor lenses. I have a built in flash, but what would I need for a wedding? What type of flash would be best to use. And is it hard to setup and configure?


I dont want anything too complicated.What is the best camera flash to use for weddings?
Metz is great, especially for experienced photographers. For an amateur I would recommend the Nikon SB600, SB800, or the SB900. They will work seamlessly with your D80 and take advantage of Nikon's very well designed system. A diffuser would be nice, too. A Fong, Demb, Stofen, or Betterbouncecard are a few that are commonly used. Visit these sites for flash tutorial:





http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash鈥?/a>





http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/





I hope you are asking this as a guest who just wants to get some good snaps and not as the event photographer. Using a flash is not brain surgery, but it takes some time and practice to get it right. A wedding is not a good place to practice.What is the best camera flash to use for weddings?
try looking into the nikon sb600 flash....not as high end as the sb900, but still will enable you to use the ittl features.





Hopefully you didn't agree to shoot this wedding professionally...I'm assuming you just want to get some nicer shots from the wedding :)








If you did agree to shoot the wedding for some reason, call them and tell them you are NOT qualified or experienced enought to shoot weddings !!!!
I use 2 Metz 45 CL-1's, with a couple of Sunpak's for backup. And an old Minolta... and a Vivitar that I don't like. If I had more money than bills, it would be 2 or 4 Quantum T-5dr's. Of course there are stands and mounts and umbrellas and radio triggers and all that mess too.





You need more than just one flash, even with something like the SB-900. Maybe 3 SB-900's, but not just one.





My way, or the SB-900 way, are both pretty simple to use, once you know how. That's the trick, knowing how!





An SB-900 on the camera, and 2 more acting as iTTL slaves to the master on the camera, would be a very good setup for anything short of a huge, dim hall. Once you get the lights in position, the iTTL system pretty much takes care of the rest for you.





I use manual flashes, and once I get them where I want them, and get the flashes and camera set the way I want them, I don't have to mess with it again until I start moving things. Then it takes all of 10-15 seconds to get it reconfigured, and away I go.
A flash gun is better than the built in flash. Better still if you can use a flash diffuser that you should be able to pick up for a few bucks at your local camera store. The Nikon D80 is a sophisticated piece of kit, it will control a flash attached to the Camera.





Edit Metz have a good rep, off camera flash. But even a cheap flash gun with diffuser fitted will be far superior than your cameras own flash.
FotoZ has it right Metz no contest you buy the most power you can get and hook to your camera. Always easy to back off the power, never able to get more when needed out of the smaller flash units.
Metz.
A Nikon SB900 and a Gary Fong Lightsphere will do a fine job.

No comments:

Post a Comment