Monday, December 28, 2009

Is it safe to use flash frozen halibut for a ceviche recipe?

I live in Alaska and deep sea fish every summer. This has left me with a ton of Halibut hanging out in my freezer. I want to make a yummy ceviche dish, however I don't know if using frozen ( flash frozen within hours of catching and then vacuum packed) fish is a good idea. I really would love to hear from someone who's done it before. Thanks!Is it safe to use flash frozen halibut for a ceviche recipe?
Even though your using the citric acid to kill the bacteria that may or may not be in the Halibut, it is still always a good idea to heat your food to the right temperature to kill bacteria. The minimum you need for this is 140 degrees. I know people like to eat raw fish like Sushi for example, but they also take on the risk of getting sick! At least your smart enough to ask ahead of time unlike other people who think they already know everything and do what they do. It's a choice you'll have to make on your own, but if it were me( Chef for 8yrs) I would heat it up to 140 degrees or more and enjoy my nice fine Halibut steak dinner and not have to worry about getting sick or making someone else sick!Is it safe to use flash frozen halibut for a ceviche recipe?
It will work because theoretically you are cooking it with the acidity.


And it is safe to cook frozen and eat but not re-heat, which you wont be.


But fresh is always better. For taste and lastability!
its sound good.............


i think it will work...........

No comments:

Post a Comment