Friday, January 8, 2010

What are the advantages to using a flash bracket?

Do you use one? What are the advantages/disadvantages to using one for pictures of people?What are the advantages to using a flash bracket?
During my 40+ year career I always had a bracket on my camera when I was shooting with flash. But I didn't keep the flash on the bracket. Using a long sync cord I'd remove the flash and hand-hold it at about a 45-55 degree angle from the camera in my left hand (that's out to my side and up) and as far away as my arm would stretch (after focusing and setting f/stop). With the flash visually aimed at the subject I'd hold the camera and trigger the shutter with my right hand only. Besides eliminating red-eye the angle of the flash ';models'; the subject with rounded highlights and shadows that aren't present when the flash is left mounted on the camera. In other words a camera mounted flash lights the subject very flatly and it's very unflattering lighting. That's the primary reason, to me, for removing the flash from the camera. I even used this technique shooting with a 4x5 Speed Graphic camera which, believe me, is not light. http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2217/i鈥?/a> Holding a 35-mm in one hand is child's play compared to this.


Later I bought a Larson Soff Shoulder reflector for my 35-mm cameras which is very bulky and cumbersome. I recently sold mine on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie鈥?/a> for a lot less money than it should have brought. They may be awkward but they make beautiful soft lighting that creates beautiful portraits.


There are some for sale on eBay currently http://photography.listings.ebay.com/Lig鈥?/a>


Soff Boxes can also be purchased from Larson Enterprises but expect to lay out some serious cash. http://www.larson-ent.com/products_list.鈥?/a> All of these are designed to be tripod mounted.What are the advantages to using a flash bracket?
I've been using a flash bracket for about 20 years. The main advantage is that (a) it raises the flash so you get less red eye (b) when the camera is turn vertically the flash stay over the camera lens (there by keeping the shadow behind the subject instead of next to the subject).





Another advantage that is not often spoken about flash bracket is that people treat you like your a pro right off the bat. By that what I mean is that people (subjects) take directions better and often other photographers will let you get your shot first.





The disadvantage is that it is big an bulky.
Why a bracket? Simple, when you place a flash above and in close proximity to your lens you create a bizzare artificial lighting condition known as on-axis lighting which more or less looks like this famous Edward Weston photo http://products.priceclash.co.uk/images/鈥?/a>


As you can see you get this odd shadow around the edges of the model with everything in the center more or less blasted out. If you are photographing portraits this is not very flattering, and to top it off, this type of lighting will also create the ever so hated red eye.


By placing the flash above and off axis you create a more realistic lighting condition which is more like how our sun lights our faces during the daytime. If you want to learn more about photo lighting your best source for understanding natural lighting conditions is to simply observe the sun and how it lights and delineates the shapes of objects. Ideally though if you want to get more realistic lighting conditions you will take the flash off the bracket and hand hold it in a position that delineates and flatters the subject the best. You may also choose to bounce the flash, as this will soften the harshness associated with flash photography. You can also use other types of light modifiers over your flash head such as a diffusion filter. Although I personally reject using a flash at all cost if natural lighting is an option, I will use a parabollic flash mounted on a bracket and diffused with a diffusion filter. Parabolic flashes create a more wrap around lighting , and it is softer, especially when it is diffused. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment